Rules & Regulations
2018 Bellport Golf Commission
Brit Lawlor – Chairman Ron Krawzyck – Deputy Chairman Ed Santalone – Special Projects Joe Dabrowski – Tournaments/Rules Jeff Nagel – Membership/Marketing Jim Dowd – Violations Carol Cassel – Special Events Tara Ford – Ladies Locker Room/Food and Beverage Mike Cioffi – Men's Locker Room/Food and Beverage
All competitive sports are governed by a set of rules. The rules of golf were jointly developed and approved by the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews Scotland and the United States Golf Association.
The following rules and regulations supplement USGA RULES. Arbitrary disregard of the rules resulting in the inconvenience of fellow members may result in censure or discipline as determined by the Golf Commission and the Village Board of Trustees.
It is the responsibility of every member to report violations promptly, in writing, through the Pro Shop or directly to a golf commission member.
It is the responsibility of the Golf Commission to resolve such violations.
On the Course
Golf Course Etiquette
- Replace divots and repair ball marks.
- Enter and leave bunkers at nearest level point to the ball.
- Before leaving the bunker, sand must be smoothly raked.
- USGA Rules of Golf shall apply to all play unless otherwise provided by local rules, which are stated on the scorecard or may be posted by the Golf Professional.
- General Misconduct Rule – No conduct unbecoming of a member will be allowed. No verbal or physical abuse will be allowed by or to members, residents or their guests and includes all golf course employees.
- Fivesome’s are never allowed on the course, unless authorized by the Golf Professional.
- Place refuse in the appropriate receptables. (Do not litter)
Proper Attire & Equipment
Proper attire DOES NOT INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
- For men – cut-offs, athletic shorts, tank tops, undershirts, T-shirts, bathing suits, work uniforms, sweatpants, blue jean shorts, blue jeans, or any denim clothing.
- For women – cut-offs, halter-tops, mini-skirts, bathing suits, sweatpants, blue jean shorts, blue jeans or any denim clothing.
- Players must wear golf shoes or sneakers/ALL SHOES MUST BE CHANGED IN THE LOCKER ROOM FACILITIES.
- Players must have their own bag and clubs. No pedestrians, bicycle riders or joggers will be allowed on the course – this includes all children of members, residents and their guests. Spectators will be permitted at designated club tournaments.
- Proper attire DOES NOT INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
Pace of Play
- Players are responsible for their group maintaining proper position on the course in relation to the rest of the field. Each group should be approximately a starting interval behind the preceding group throughout the entire round. The position of the group has no bearing in determining whether or not a group is out of position or whether a group’s pace of play is satisfactory.
- A group is deemed “out of position” if it arrives at the teeing ground of a par 4 or 5 and the group preceding them has completed play of that hole.
- It is the responsibility of players to be aware of their position on the golf course.
To improve your pace of play:
- “Be ready” to play when it is your turn.
- Be aware of your position on the course with regard to the group ahead.
- Players electing to stop and eat lunch at the Grill Room after the eighth hole must invite the following group to play through. If picking up a take-out order, pace of play must be maintained.
- All motorized carts must be used in accordance to the safety rules posted in the cart.
- All motorized carts must be driven on cart paths where provided. Carts will scatter on course, unless otherwise posted.
- Park motorized carts on paths next to greens & tee boxes.
- Motorized and pull carts may not be taken on tees or within 30 yards of aprons and greens.
- No person without a Driver’s License is permitted to operate a motorized cart.
- Coolers are not permitted on the golf course.
- Players are responsible for the conduct of their caddies.
- IF TWO GOLFERS ARE PLAYING IN THE SAME FOURSOME, RIDING ALONE IN A CART WILL NOT BE PERMITTED. PAIRING IS MANDATORY.
- Any golf cart with a green flag indicates a golfer has medical permission to bring the cart closer to tee boxes and greens. Permission must be granted by the Golf Commission for golfers to obtain a green flag for their cart.
- Golf carts are for those golfers who paid a fee for its use on the golf course. Walkers may not stand on the back of the golf carts for a ride at any time.
- During the week, members may book a tee time with up to three (3) guests, five (5) days in advance using the booking method; this includes Saturday and Sunday, after 11:30AM. Prior to 11:30AM on the weekend, members who wish to bring a guest, must wait to book their times until Thursday Morning, after the lottery has been run. Any member who wishes to bring a guest that also requested a tee time in the member lottery, must forfeit their time and move to the next available tee time.
- Full Member– this class entitles the golfer to tee off privileges seven (7) days a week with no time restrictions. (See notes at the end of section 3A)
- CLASS B AND CORPORATE – this class entitles the golfer to tee off privileges seven (7) days a week, but not before 11:30am on Saturday, Sunday and Holidays during the entire playing year. (See notes at the end of section 3A)
- Weekday Member – this class entitles the golfer to tee off privileges weekdays except Holidays during the entire playing year. (See notes at the end of section 3A)
- ASSOCIATES – this class entitles golfers to play Tuesday, Wednesday ,Thursday and Friday with no time restrictions. Saturday, Sunday and Holidays after 1:00pm.
- * ASSOCIATE A* - (See A membership)
- JUNIORS – this class entitles golfers to play seven (7) days a week after 2:00pm. The junior member must always check in with the Starter before playing. Resident junior non-members must play in accordance with all Junior Membership rules.
- Residents of the Village, who are not members, must follow the same starting procedures and Rules and Regulations as members, and must present their Village Recreation ID card at the Pro Shop before registering to play.
- Twilight-This membership entitles play after 3:30 (7) days a week when available.
NOTE: Tuesdays, from May to November , the Bellport Women’s Golf Club (BWGC) will have guaranteed tee times in accordance with their “pairing sheet”, which is turned in to the Pro Shop prior to Monday. The Starter will allow a 15 minute window before and after the BWGC have the tee(s). If, due to course conditions, there is a delay in the BWGC clearing the tee(s), play will still be held up for 15 minutes so that the BWGC weekly tournament play is not interfered with.
NOTE: Wednesday, from May to November , there is a scheduled Men’s event with a shotgun start at 8:30am. Check in with Starter for afternoon starting times.
NOTE: Holidays on which play is restricted are Memorial Day, Independence Day and Labor Day. “D” members can reserve times on these holidays after 2:00pm, if available, by calling the Starter in the AM the day before.
- Host players shall be responsible for the observance of all rules and regulations by their guests, including their eligibility to play in accordance with the guest rule policy.
- Guest must play in the same foursome as their host(s). (Members and residents who cannot play with their guests must receive permission from the Director of Golf).
- All members and Village Residents are entitled to have a maximum of 9 guests per month during the prime golfing season.
- An individual may not be a guest at the club more than 2 times a month during the entire golfing season.
- Starting times for guests – see SECTION IV A.
- One Guest per Member will be permitted on the weekend prior to 10:00 am. Guests at this time have to ride. Please call the starter one day in advance.
- Junior members may not bring guests at any time.
- ALL MEMBERS, RESIDENTS AND GUESTS MUST HAVE A BAG TAG OR RECEIPT.
- Members and village residents are allowed unlimited guests during the non-prime golfing season.
PRIME SEASON: May 15th through September 30th
NON-PRIME SEASON: October 1st through May 14th
Starting Time Reservation System
Please report to the Starter at least 15 minutes prior to your scheduled starting time.
- FULL MEMBERS – (For weekend and holidays mornings before 11:30am) You may make a reservation 7 days in advance of the day you want to play. The system will walk you through the procedure. The only information you will need to provide is the day and time you want to play, and the reservation identification numbers of the people you are playing with. The system stops taking reservations Wednesday at 6:00pm for Saturday times, and Thursday at 6:00pm for Sunday times. To find your starting time for Saturday, you may start calling the system/starter on Thursday after 7:00am; for starting time on Sunday you may start calling the sytem/starter on Friday after 7:00am.
Full, “B” AND CORPORATE MEMBERS – (For weekend times after 11:30am) You may make a reservation up to 7 days in advance of the day you wish to play. The system will walk you through the procedure. The only information you will need to provide is the day and timeyou want to play, and the reservation identification numbers of the people you are playing with. The system will give you your starting time immediately. The system stops taking reservations the day before you want you play. If you are too late to make a reservation, you may call the starter directly at 286-4139.
- GUESTS – (For weekends after 11:30am) If you would like to play with a guest after 11:30am on a weekend, the resrevationsystem will start 5 days prior to the day you would like to play.
Full, “B”, CORPORATE AND Weekday MEMBERS – (For weekday times) You can go through website 7 days in advance of the day you would like to play. The system will walk you through the procedure. The only information you will need to provide is the day and time you want to play and the reservation identification number of the people that you are playing with. The system will give you your starting time immediately. The system stops taking reservations the day before you want to play. If you are too late to make a resrevation, you may call the starter directly at 286-4139.
- GUESTS – (For weekdays) If you would like to play with a guest, check website Chelsea system starting 5 days prior to the day that you would like to play.
- ASSOCIATE MEMBERS – 7 days in advance on website; the system will walk you through the procedure. The only information you will need to provide is the day and time you wish you play and the reservation identifcation numbers of the people you are playing with. The system stops taking reservations that day before you want to play. If you are too late to make a reservation, you may call the starter directly at 286-4139.
- JUNIOR MEMBERS - (For any day after 2:00pm) To obtain a starting time, you may call the starter (286-4139) starting at 7:00am the day you would like to play.
- You may always call the starter at 286-4139 one day in advance to make, change or check on a starting time.
- Please use the website Bellportgolfclub.com or go directly to Bellport.chelseareservations.com or make in person at kiosk in Proshop.
Reservation System Information
- Reservation Identification Number – All members will receive a reservation identification number to use when making a starting time with our starting time rerservation system. When you reserve a tee time, the system will ask for the identification number for each player in the group. If you do not know or do not have a reservation identification number, please call (286-7206) or stop in the Pro Shop.
- Reservation Confirmation Number – Every time you reserve a starting time through the system you will be given a confirmation number. You should write this down, for, if at a later time you want to change or cancel your reservation, this number will be needed.
- Preferred Placement Method – This is a weighed lottery method to assign weekend and holiday morning (before 11:30am) starting times for “A” members. It is based on your past history of acquiring tee times.
- First Come, First Served Method – This method assigns weekday starting times to our “A”, “B” and “D” members, and starting times on weekends (after 11:30am) to our “A” and “B” members. You make a starting time request and the computer assigns you a tee time immediately, based on the openings available at the time of your request.
Special Service Features of the Starting Time Reservation System
- The system knows what classification of member you are, so if you are a “D” member and try to book a time on a weekend morning, you will be refused.
- The system will not allow one member to be part of 2 tee time reservations for the same day. Once a member is involved in one group’s reservation request, the member will be refused from all other reservation requests.
- The system has the ability to service multiple groups together for a reservation. For instance, if you have 16 members who want to play together, these groups would be assigned consecutive tee times on the starting sheet. Their chance of getting the starting time they want does not increase or decrease because of the number of players in the group.
- The system has the ability to track the number of guests each member brings. At the Bellport Country Club you are allowed to bring 6 guests a month.
There are nets behind the 1st tee area, for warming up before your starting time. Please use only 6, 7 and 8 irons and only hit off of the mats inside the nets
- Before going on the course to practice, you must check in with the Pro Shop.
- When playing the course, do not hit more than one ball to any green.
- Do not hit practice balls to greens.
- Do not hit practice balls from fairways. When hitting practice balls stay in the rough – 20 yards from the fairway. Replace your divots when finished.
- Practice putting only on the practice putting green.
- Do not leave practice balls on the fairway when players are coming through.
- WHEN THE GOLF COURSE IS CLOSED, NO PRACTICING WILL BE PERMITTED IN ANY AREA, INCLUDING THE PUTTING GREEN.
- The area behind the cart shed can be used to practice before 8:00am. The golfer must pick up the practice balls. Please check in at the Pro Shop to be sure the area is available.
- Players electing to stop and eat lunch in the Grill Room after the eighth hole must invite the following group to play through.
- When picking up take-out orders after the eighth hole, pace of play must be maintained.
- Grill Room operation hours will correspond with the Pro Shop operation hours.
Tournaments & Clubs
The Club Championship and Senior Club Championship are open to all members. (Junior members may only play in the Championship flight of the Club Championship)
- The Men’s Senior Championship Match Play Tournament is scheduled for the entire month of June. Players must be 50 years and older to participate.
- All other weekend tournaments are open to “A”, “B” and ASSOCIATE members only. If members with a membership classification restriction wish to play in one of these tournaments, they must pay a greens fee.
- USGA rules apply and tournaments are subject to change.
- Local Rules are posted in the Pro Shop, Starter’s booth and locker rooms.
- Tournaments may be added at the discrection of the Golf Professional.
- All sign-ups are to be done 1 week in advance at the Pro Shop.
- The Club Championship and Senior Club Championship are open to all members. (Junior members may only play in the Championship flight of the Club Championship)
Wednesday Men's Club
- Members, Residents and Guests are welcome but MUST have a USGA handicap.
- All tournaments are Wednesdays, April through October, with an 8:30am shotgun, off the back nine, weather permitting.
- All tournaments have a $10 entry fee that goes towards 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and closest to the pin prizes.
- Sign-up sheets will be posted in the Pro Shop and will remain up until the Monday before, when the pairing for Wednesday’s tournament will be made.
Bellport Women's Golf Club (BWGC)
- The BWGC is open to all Bellport Country Club members with an established USGA handicap.
- Tournaments are held every Tuesday morning from May to mid-October, weather permitting.
- All tournaments have a $5 entry fee that goes towards 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and closest to the pin prizes.
Membership chair people for 2014 are Debbie Fell and Karen Scott.
- If interested, inquire at Pro Shop for details.
Mondays are designated as tournaments days for outside groups.
Members who wish to play Monday MUST check with the Pro Shop for tee time availability. Occasionally a tournament will be scheduled for a Thursday, so a Tournament Calendar for the season will be posted in the Pro Shop for member’s information.
Leave of Absence Policy
A leave of absence police may be granted, prior to April 1st, by the Golf Commission for the following reasons:
- All members requesting a leave of absence before April 1st must pay a $500 non-refundable deposit, which will be applied to the membership fee for the following year.
- A leave of absence request can be made after April 1st for medical reasons only.
- All medical leave requests must have supporting medical documentation.
Members who request a medical leave of absence after April 1st and have paid their dues in full for the year will not receive a refund. Amounts paid will be credited to the next golfing season. This will be done on a pro-rated basis. Medical leaves, once taken, are for the remainder of the season.
Upon receiving a leave of absence, members understand that they have no playing privileges at the golf course, in any capacity.
Procedure for Filing Grievances & Rule Violations Resolution
- All violations should be reported by members, greens staff and golfing staff through the Pro Shop. Violations must be reported in writing. Violation forms can be found in the Pro Shop, and must be signed by the individual filing the rule violation.
- Abuse of our rules and regulations will be referred to the Bellport Golf Commission for resolution and may result in the member being asked to appear before the Golf Commission. Penalties may include suspension or loss of membership privileges with membership fees forfeited.
Lightning & Course Maintenance
Lightning Detection System
A new lightning detection system has been installed at the country club. If lightning is withing 7 miles of the course a loud siren will sound. Every player must immediately leave the course. No one is to resume play until the system’s siren signals the all clear. This will happen 15 minutes after the last lightning strike within a 7 mile radius of the course.
Course Maintenance Schedule
- Early to Mid April
- After Labor Day
*Check in Pro Shop for postings of the days for golf course maintenance. *Spraying will be done as needed with sign notification to members and with as little impact to play as possible. *All of the scheduling is dependant upon weather conditions and equipment availability.